Summer is here and now is the time to start shopping for your board shorts. You may not be used to wearing them, but after reading up on the latest trends for summer, you might want to upgrade your beach wardrobe immediately.
Like many other beach wear items, there are some targeted elements in board shorts that significantly affect the look and performance of them when worn.
For instance, board shorts are made to be extremely light and thin, yet they need to have extra durability and stretch that allow them to fit tightly around the leg and crotch without being restrictive or uncomfortable.
In addition to this, they need to have a defined waistband that slightly stretches, while the fabric on the leg hem should also be flexible and can be folded or tucked in the pocket without getting uncomfortable.
Choosing the right pair of board shorts comes down to a few things, but let’s first discuss some of the best board shorts above that you should definitely consider.
|Billabong Men's 20 Inch Outseam 4-Way Stretch 73 Pro Boardshort||Best Overall|
|Rip Curl Men's Mirage Core 20" Stretch Performance Board Shorts||Budget Pick|
|Hurley Men's Phantom Block Party 18" Swim Short Boardshort||Upgrade Pick|
1. Billabong Men's 20 Inch Outseam 4-Way Stretch 73 Pro Boardshort
- Very durable and sturdy
- Good fit – a little stretchy
- Minimal pilling
- Good for hot weather – breathable and dries fast
- Detachable liner
- Great liner – men’s pattern
- Unisex sizing
- Kind of athletic fit, like you’d wear work out shorts, not a fashion short
- The liner has a plastic-y feel
When you need high-quality boardshorts, this is a great choice for the money. The 20" outseam is part of the "73" fit, which is longer in the front and shorter in the back. The short itself is also a little bit longer (14" inches) than a standard short. The fabric is 4 way stretch, so you can maneuver well, and it's comfortable to wear. Most of the fabric is polyester.
The liner is a nice feature. It's a solid men's pattern and it's also attached, so that it will stay put. It seems like it will stay attached in the wash.
2. Hurley Men's Phantom Block Party 18" Swim Short Boardshort
- Overall construction and design are well made
- Has an adjustable drawstring for a secure fit
- It’s comfortable and free-flowing
- Amazing colors
- The brand is well-known for its quality and affordability
The Hurley Phantom Block Party 18-Inch Boardshort is a swim short with a solid construction and design. It has a number of features that we find very valuable.
First, you have the four-way stretch fabric that not only improves the comfort of these board shorts, it also improves their mobility during swimming, surfing, or any other water-related activities.
The boardshorts have a super comfortable feeling, and they flow freely. These qualities are mostly due to the fabric, as well as to the perforated lining.
3. O'NEILL Men's Water Resistant Hyperfreak Stretch Swim Boardshorts
- Good overall value
- Retro-inspired design (check your local surf shop and you’ll see what this means!)
- Water repellant material
This is one of the great things in the O’Neil brand name – retro-inspired detail on high-performance garments. They look great including the bi-material design and mesh side panels.
These swimwear items provide a pull-on feature for a secure fit with a drawstring waist. An internal lining with a mesh exterior keeps you comfortable. A hidden internal pocket offers storage for small essentials.
The 69% polyester/27% nylon/4% spandex fabric blend is quick dry and works well in or out of water. The material is water repellant so it won’t get as heavy in high humidity.
4. Quiksilver Mens Highline Tijuana 19"
- Great value for the price
- Has extra storage pockets
- Should fit just about anyone
4 Pockets, Swim Trunks, Multimedia, Blue, X-Large.
5. Volcom Men's Deadly Plus Mod 20" Stretchy Boardshort
- Highly durable material
- Extremely lightweight
- Excellent style
- Perfect fit due to the stretch of the material
The Deadly Plus Mod Boardshorts from Volcom are designed to look good on anyone. These lightweight, close-fitting boardshorts are made using an innovative stretchy material called DriRelease. You’ll be able to easily move around in them while still being able to look good thanks to their high-quality material.
You should also find that they fit really well around your waist and legs, and can really benefit from their special material. This material is very durable but still offers great range of movement.
The Volcom Deadly Plus Mod Boardshorts are available in your choice of eight colors. They’re also totally made here in the US.
6. Under Armour Men's Tide Chaser Boardshorts
- Good value
- Multiple flattering color and style options available
- Performance fit
- Splash and abrasion resistant
- UPF 50-rated
- Stash pocket
These boardshorts are specifically designed to offer a performance fit with lots of style. The colors are bold and the many style options could provide the confidence your are looking for to wear a fun pattern for your day at the beach. It is a solid choice for active use and provides a quicker, smoother ride with limited hindrance. If you are planning a long trek on the sand or out in the surf, you may want something more substantial.
Whether you are on the beach or at the gym, the boardshorts are made to move with you. They have a quick-drying wicking property that is highly functional for anyone that does not want to be left wet and sticky after getting out of the water. The boardshorts dry in a few minutes and you can get back in the surf without having to sit around and feel self-conscious about your appearance.
The quick dry fabric and good fit of these shorts allow you to enjoy the sun and the surf without a bunch of excess material to deal with when you are moving around. They can be used in most water sports without getting weighed down and without sacrificing flexibility.
7. RVCA Men's Eastern 20" Trunk
- The RVCA Eastern Trunk has a shorter inseam than you find on most board shorts and offers great freedom of movement
- The full mesh lining offers excellent airflow, keeping you cool even on the hottest days
- Two secure pockets and one Velcro pocket offer you room for keys and wallet
- It has a built-in liner for added comfort and shape retention
- The shape of this trunk means it is not the most flattering pair of board shorts on the market
- The liner is not removable, which means laundry days are a little bit more tedious as you need to wash the entire trunk
- The fly opening is split with a button to hold it together, but the button is not the highest quality
- The board shorts are made from a mix of 84% Polyester and 16% spandex, so they probably sit relatively high on the waist
8. Rip Curl Men's Mirage Core 20" Stretch Performance Board Shorts
- Has a 4-way stretch, which makes the shorts very flexible and makes them more durable
- Has a lot of storage space
- Comes in 6 good-looking colors
- Comes with a limited-lifetime warranty
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best boardshorts?
Boardshorts are those narrow, knee-length, comfortable shorts that are a favorite of surfers and sun worshipers everywhere. They are cool, sleek and sporty, and come in a variety of color, fabric and design options.
Boardshorts shorts are great for hitting the beach, sitting on the shore while you enjoy a picnic with family and friends, and make a great casual, cool swimwear option for pool, lake or ocean wear.
Here are 8 options for you to consider.
Why are board shorts so long?
You should have a few