If you’re an aspiring surfer, you know how hard it can be to learn the sport. Not only do you have to catch a wave in the first place, but you need to control your board on the face and make it successfully all the way back to the beach without wiping out.
Luckily for you, there’s a whole lot of helpful resources out there to teach you the basics and get you started. However, with all the different books, magazines, courses, and videos available today, how do you know which one will help you the most?
In this guide, I’ve reviewed 10 of the best surfboard for beginners options out there.
|Premium Surfboards||Best Overall|
|Wavestorm 8' Surfboard||Budget Pick|
1. Premium Surfboards
- Great value for the price
- Looks good and decent quality
- Has some shape to it, which is uncommon for most beginner boards
- Comes equipped with useful accessories
- The fins often detach, which is a known issue with these boards
- The packaging often ends up coming apart during shipment, which means the pieces are not always protected as well as they could be
Our top pick for best beginner surfboard for adults or kids is the Premium Surfboards for Beginners model. The Premium series is a trusted surfboard brand thanks to their durable materials, good range of boards, and lifetime warranty.
This board is one of the best budget picks out there, delivering extended reliability and value for the price. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons with this board. In fact, the downsides can be easily resolved by purchasing new fins (or using the ones you already have) and shipping the board with more care to prevent the packing from coming apart.
Another advantage is that this board is suitable for adults, providing a good range of sizes so you can find one to fit your needs. Another cool feature is that you can choose your size based on your fin style preference – single fin, thruster, or quad setup.
2. South Bay Board Co.
- Made of soft, thick and lightweight material, durable
- Average: excellent quality, exceptional price
- Good: Average quality, acceptable price
Our top pick is the South Bay Board Co – Hybrid Surfboards, as it is the most well-rounded board on our list. Endorsed by many pro surfers, South Bay is an up-and-coming board brand that specializes in high-quality, soft top, fiberglassed composite surfboards.
The 6-ft Razzo is a hybrid surfboard with a soft top and fiberglassed bottom. The soft top is made of a high-quality, 3/4-inch thick, skin-on top with a tail vamp and nose. The bottom is a high-density, 5/8-inch thick, fiberglass sandwich cup.
The Razzo’s deck measures 36 inches wide and comes with four white soft top bars with surf wax. The finbox can fit a North or Futures FCS-level fin setup, and the soft top leash ring fits most leash attachment systems.
3. Liquid Shredder FSE Soft Surfboard
- Durable construction materials
- Made in the USA by local workers
- Two fin set up
Best Beginners Wave Surfboard for Beginners
4. THURSO SURF Aero 7 ft Soft Top Surfboard Foam Surfboard Package Includes Three Fins Double Stainless Steel Swivel Leash EPS Core IXPE Deck HDPE Slick Bottom Built in Non Slip Deck Grip
- This is a perfect board for learning how to surf
- It has a slick design which makes it suitable for fun in the water without damaging the surface or your clothing
- It is made of a durable material that is appropriate for use in the water
- It can be used by both beginners and experts to enjoy the water in their own way
- You can use it to have fun in the backyard when it is not use by your children
- It is ideal for the littlest as well as the oldest when paddling and surfing
- It can be hard to keep this product in the water as an inexperienced surfer
- The fins may pop off which makes it difficult to keep your balance
- The handle may also begin to loosen up
- You need to be aware of the company who is producing the board before you purchase a board from them
5. Wavestorm 8' Surfboard
6. South Bay Board Co.
- This lightweight foam surfboard is great for experienced beginners or those who want to start out in half the time
- Soft top surfboards are easier to use and less prone to damage
- The leash holder tells you where to place your leash and keeps it from tangling up in other parts of the surfboard
- Soft Top surfboards are durable for their price
- Lightweight foam surfboards are less responsive than a fiberglass surfboard
- Lightweight foam surfboards tend to sink faster when caught in the surf
- You have to be careful not to get the hang of the foam surfboard and use it like a fiberglass surfboard when you are still learning the ropes
7. Wave Bandit Ben Gravy Pro EZ Rider Surfboard
- Easy to ride
- Soft to ride on
- Very durable
- Comes with fin
- Nice and stable while riding
- Has a nice soft feel while riding
- Good for all-around use
- Paddles easily through the water
- Some could find it thin and small
- Takes quite a while to ship, but the seller is very responsive
When considering the best beginners surfboard, one that works well in a variety of wave sizes, we found the Wave Bandit Ben Gravy to be the perfect choice.
We like how this 8-foot by 29” by 5” board can comfortably hold up to 160 pounds. The Pyrex glass weave top also provides a durable yet soft deck for you to ride on.
It also has a slightly thicker vee bottom and oval tail which helps it perform in a wide variety of wave conditions.
8. California Board Company Surfboard
- Made with high quality material
- Shortboards have a textured tail pad for improved traction
- Urethane rails that will not pit or gouge
- Comes with an instruction sheet
Crash pads are included to catch you and reduce the impact of falls if you are a beginner. This surfboard is constructed of solid polyethylene foam and epoxy resin. It’s 5-fin and rated for intermediate level surfers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best surfboard for beginners?
If you are on the look for the best surfboard for beginners, then you should know that there is no board that is ideal for every beginner. However, there are tons of surfboards, which would be suitable for you.
The perfect board for beginners should be actually suitable for their skills. Beginners can be generally divided into two groups:
- Beginners who just have fallen in love with surfing and would love to try it again and again
- Beginners who just want to enjoy a day out on the sea while staying safe.
Since we are on the attempt to offer you with the best surfboard for beginners, we aimed at fulfilling both of your demands without requiring you to carry any unnecessary weight in your backpack.
To help you make up your mind on selecting the best surfboard for beginners, we put all the good information in this article – a list of best surfboards for beginners.
What is the best material for a surfboard?
The best material for a surfboard depends on what you’re looking for. As a beginner, a fiberglass board is the best choice. Fiberglass is very durable compared to other materials such as wood which is very flimsy. Fiberglass is thick and can take a lot of damage. Some beginners do prefer foam though as it does not hurt as much when you fall.
For a fun surf, foam boards are the best because of their light weight. The foam boards are easy to carry around and are great for taking to the beach. However, they will take damage after a few uses, until then, they are a fun alternative to fiberglass.
What is the best foam surfboard?
Foam surfboards are a versatile and cost-effective way to enter the surf industry. You can take your board with you on the road and use it away from the water, to practice your skills. It’s also easy to store and will cost less money than a glassed surfboard.
If you don’t have much experience or money, this is often the best way to go. However, when you’ve gained some experience, you’ll probably move to a better quality glassed surfboard. That’s not to say that foam surfboards aren’t of a good quality because they can be!
What is the best type of surfboard?
Longboards are favored by many surfers because they are easier to ride. They have stability features that make riding easier and safer than other boards that might wobble or tip over.
We did the work for you with this selection of the top 10 best surfboards and created a detailed buying guide. We've also reviewed the top brands and have found the best boards for beginners because beginners have different needs than pro surfers. We've scoured the web and found a variety of prices to help you find the Best Surfboards for Beginners.
|Premium Surfboards||Best Overall|
|Wavestorm 8' Surfboard||Budget Pick|