Are you a surfer who wants to catch more waves or increase their wave count?
If you’re a beginner surfer who’s having trouble catching waves or you’re an intermediate/advanced surfer who wants to catch more waves than you already do, then you can use small changes in your technique, body position, and board to improve your surfing.
If that’s the case, suitable depending on your budget, this is a very comprehensive list of the best cheap surfboards that you can use to catch more waves without breaking the bank.
1. Beginner Surfboard
- Affordable: comes with an affordable price tag
- Durable: its material makes it durable
- Length: it has a length that’s perfect for beginners
- Weight capacity: it can support up to 140kg
- Made from durable material
- In-built fin system
- Limited lifespan: if you don’t take care of it, it’ll only last a year
- Warm water: it’s not the best option for surfers who surf in warm water as it’ll be difficult to balance
- Suitable for children only: it’s not suitable for adults as it’s too short
The best beginner surfboard for your kid is the Guppy. It has a high weight capacity and will support almost any weight. It’s also easy to carry and transport. However, you’ll only get value for your money if you use this board a lot. This board is only best for surfing in warm water.
2. Hybrid Surfboard
- The polyurethane deck is lightweight and durable
- The bottom of the board offers a more stable ride where less weight and thickness
- Comes with wax-free textured foam
- Offers a smooth ride, especially on the lagoon
- Ideal for learners, as the board is beginner friendly
This product has been designed to offer learners all that they need to learn how to surf without having to spend large sums of money. It is made from fiberglass in an eco-friendly way and with environmentally sustainable materials. The board measures 5”5’ and has been designed in a way that it will be lightweight and durable. This product has a wax-free textured foam top deck and it is ideal for the beginner surfer who wants a board that is lightweight and easy to handle.
This product offers a smooth riding experience and something that a beginner will appreciate. It is a durable product and users will find it offers a smooth ride. The bottom of the board has also been created to ensure it is more stable when it comes into contact with the lagoon, something that means that a beginner will be able to enjoy the experience of surfing.
3. THURSO SURF Aero 7 ft Soft Top Surfboard Foam Surfboard Package Includes Three Fins Double Stainless Steel Swivel Leash EPS Core IXPE Deck HDPE Slick Bottom Built in Non Slip Deck Grip
- Not top branded but the quality is what you are paying for, minus the name.
- Good, hard plastic fins.
- Decent polypropylene wire stringer.
- Good fiberglass layup to keep it from cracking.
- Good foam deck pad.
- Strong leash.
- The nose and tail are reinforced with additional foam sheets for added strength.
- The EPS core keeps it lightweight.
- The leash connector needs to be replaced.
- The fins have swivels that do not have ball bearings, and they tend to be a bit clunky.
- The deck pad has a tendency to peel if you are not careful.
- The deck pad is a bit thin and does not hold up that long.
- It could be better for beginners.
Let’s take a good look at the Thurso Aero 7 feet soft-top surfboard.
4. THURSO SURF Lancer 5'10'' Fish Soft Top Surfboard Package Includes Twin Fins Double Stainless Steel Swivel Leash EPS Core IXPE Deck HDPE Slick Bottom Built in Non Slip Deck Grip
- Very lightweight
- Affordable price
- Waterproof deck grip
- Nice package
- Smooth gliding
- Sturdy body
Are you looking for a good all-around surfboard that’s easy to transport and doesn’t cost too much? The Thurso Surf Lancer should be right up your alley then. It’s made from a light yet sturdy material that can stand up to small bumps and scrapes. The smooth gliding is also worth mentioning.
The material used for the body is high-density polyethylene, which, as the name says, is a lightweight but highly durable material. It’s also waterproof, which is a bonus. The maximum weight the Lancer can be loaded with is 250lbs. Apart from its cheap price, the reason why many Bocachos recommend this board is that it’s really easy to transport. It does have a carry handle, after all.
5. Hybrid Surfboard
- Ideal for kids and beginners
- Great handhold throughout the board
- Adjustable fin
- Extra soft EVA traction pad
- Thin deck, may need a second layer
- Classed as a shortboard but is 4'10"
- May need wax
This super soft fiberglass shortboard from American board and paddle sports company, South Bay Board Compay, is an excellent beginner board. It has a wax-free textured foam top deck and a glass bottom deck. This means that you should dampen it a bit for protection on icy winter days or you can just leave it as is. The fiberglass makes for a less flexible and more durable board compared to typical foam boards.
It has a resin-based epoxy bottom coat and a 6oz fiberglass top deck. It also has an adjustable fin, American-made FCS II fin plug set, plus a five-foot leash which are excellent quality products. A five-inch, soft EVA traction pad is added for the comfort of your feet.
6. Liquid Shredder 70 FSE EPS/PE Soft Surf Board
- EPS core/PE skin
- Great for beginners and advanced surfers at a great price
- Perfect for heavy surfers
The Liquid Shredder 70 EPS surf board is great for all-around surfing for beginners through to experts. Its great for all sorts of surf, but particularly great for its range of abilities in big waves and smaller waves.
The 7 inch shortboard design has a great foam core EPS that gives the board an immediate lift. It is also a high performance foam that is similar to a feather and thus it is extremely light and soft.
The EPS is also an excellent core material that is buoyant that is extremely lightweight and also offers a lot of strength in relation to its weight, without making the board too hard to the touch.
7. Liquid Shredder FSE EPS/PE Soft Surf Board
- Decent thruster nose
- Good quality for the price
The Liquid Shredder FSE EPS/PE soft board is a funboard with an EPS core with triaxial fiberglass.
The design has a funwood standing area, tri axial fiberglass fin set up, soft rocker, and a high performance foam core.
The deck is classic fish design and is epoxied and painted which sheds water well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is a 7ft surfboard good for beginners?
It all depends where and who you are as a beginner. Either height of the board is a good fit depending on your experience. The 6ft version is more stable and perfect for beginners but also works for those who aren’t so beginners anymore.
On the other hand, 7ft surfboards are usually shredding monsters made for a more advanced and experienced surfers, the ones that are pushing their limits and want more control and acceleration. If you still want the stability of a 6ft board then you should find one of the waveski models, they will feel like oversized funboards.
What is the best surfboard for beginners?
For beginners, short and thick is the way to go, it will make learning how to surf much easier. It will also help you develop the balance and paddling technique necessary to ride a bigger board later on. The Starboard Bitch is a great option because it is a versatile board that is designed especially for females, it has a good blend of rocker and thickness.
It's definitely the best board for beginners.
It is very important that you choose a short board, one that is at most 30 inches in length, thick board will provide enough buoyancy to make it easy for you to balance and practice paddling.
Are NSP surfboards any good?
There are mixed opinions in the net on the quality of NSP surfboards. Most of the reviews show a lot of confusion about the quality of Naish product. Some of the reviews clearly shows that these are low end products while some reviews are appreciating it for its light weight materials and its ability to handle beginners. Naish has a long established history and still, there is some confusion about their quality. So it is better to look at this product from a different angle.
Apart from this, it is the most advertised surfboard in the market today. And, we believe its ads are very effective. People buy it not because it is a best selling board but because of the ads they see on the TV. These ads are not cheesy or lame but they are crisp and clear enough to attract buyers towards this product.
What is the best surfboard brand?
The best surfboard brand will depend on your personal preferences. However, these are some of the most popular and beloved brands on the surfboard market.
For beginner surfers, learning on cheap surfboards is the best way to get started, and it should not cost you too much. You can also consider buying a second-hand board or a used one, as it still would cost you less than a brand-new surfboard.
You should choose between the long and the short board. A short board offers extra maneuverability on smaller waves and is perfect for average-heighted riders and learners, while the longer surfboards offer more stability on larger waves and are great for taller surfers.
A short board of length is also easier to paddle. In addition, a short board is the best option for learning how to surf for the first time, since it is easier to handle.
Surfing is one of the best water sports in the world. It was also originated in Hawaii. There are more than half a million surfers in the United States and millions of surfers worldwide, and some people get crazy about surfing.